03 June 2012

Rummage-ing


I bet you’re never gonna guess what Dave and I did today?! 
Well since I can’t really hear any guesses through this cold hard monitor I’m just going to go ahead and blog about it!
Today we took part in an epic suitcase rummage. 
What the heck is this, you ask?! Weeeelllll...its kinda like a modern version of channeling your inner granny and getting your garage sale on! I'd heard about this once a month event a few months back...so when June rolled around I decided to take the plunge. We booked a stall, packed our used goods in a suitcase and joined about a hundred other people to host a mega suitcase rummage in the middle of the city center. So, seeing as we are trying to lighten the load back home to Canada, thrifty ol’ me thought that this was the perfect opportunity! Some may think this concept is purely el-cheapo, but there is some awesome stuff out there for very reasonable bargains (think nothing over 5 bucks!). Like in our case, the stuff we were selling was in perfectly good condition it just couldn’t be used in Canada...or, we didn’t plan on packing it there. And last, but certainly not least, all of the “goods” go to homes where they can be loved a little longer rather than going into the land fill. Its saves another 50 articles of clothing, books, dvds and new dvd players from getting purchased off the shelf at Dick Smiths...and that’s the part I love the most!

Dave got right into the sales pitch with me, we had a "name the price and its yours" policy on everything. And he really took the "everything must go" tagline to heart. I took a little break from the merchant role, to wander the stalls with Sabi...only to return to Dave, sweet Dave who had sold my umbrella!!! The one that I used on the walk over and the one that I still needed for the next two months of rainy season - for a dollar! Luckily the chap was only a few steps away so he kindly let me keep it in return for his coin!

The icing on this giant “once loved” cake is that I made my very first commission, selling my only original painting to a man who wanted to gift it to a friend! (it was hung in our house for close to 2 years!) Heck yeah, i’ll admit it was a solid day in the life of a granny and gramps. We wheeled our suitcases away richer and feeling a hundred pounds lighter. And that’s our gorgeously green effort for today.

xo Tegs

1 comment:

Delaney said...

Tegs! I absolutely LOVED reading this post! I laughed, and when I shared it with Kel and Linds, they laughed too. We can just see you two, and kel's only comment was, "Dave is fricken awesome" while he laughed and laughed.

Way to use that green thumb in a whole new light Tegs :) xo