28 May 2011

Attack of the Klohns


In order for Dave and I to really live up our Aussie experience to the max, we have always made a conscious effort to dive into the culture and lifestyle that surrounds us here. Of course we have no problems trying new grub, sipping fine wines and taking in all of the markets and festivals...but we were a little slow to change our hearts over to a new sport, especially with the hockey playoffs starting to get interesting this time of year. We’ve hooked up every cord we could find to stream the hockey games from the laptop to the TV at 10am each weekend but that’s really just not cutting it!

So we decided to start up a Social Sports team at work recently. After some crazy busy weeks at the start of the year, Gretch, our fearless leader, informed us that we had missed out on all of the league choices except for Touch Footy. Sweet... what’s that? Contrary to my belief, it’s not really like our CFL/NFL football at all. I had never before seen a footy match, none the less played the game; all I knew was that it involved some running. So where do we sign up?! Now that we are in full swing, I’m pretty stoked that we get to learn a totally new Aussie sport. 

 









We had a couple ‘team practices’ over our lunch hour at work, which consisted of six people running amok in some form of a 3 on 3 scramble (keep in mind that we actually have about 15 people on the team and play seven on seven in a real match sitch). Our first official game was rained out and since then we’ve had three games. It’s actually hilarious and I crack up most of the time because the whole concept of the game is completely foreign to us foreigners...go figure! But seriously, we take for granted how much we learn about a sport just by growing up playing with a ball here and there. Then someone hands you a footy ball (if that’s even what you call the honkin’ oversized football) and you have to learn to spin it underhand style?? Another strange concept of Footy is that you can only pass backwards, whilst still trying to run forward to make a try (aka point). Needless to say, it doesn’t take long to pick out who the Canadians are on the team when the ball goes flying forward (there are 4 of us). 
We’ve been off to a slow start losing all games so far, but I know a win is coming our way because we’ve made big strides even since the first match. The team we just played last night was sharp and I’d say we held our own considering some of us are newbies, having never played before. Unfortunately for old bones here, I over exerted myself on the first play of the game when I darted sideways to tag a guy at lightning speed. I felt something really stretch in my lower left side of my back. I thought I had covered all bases with our pre-game warm up stretches... apparently not though because granny herniated a disc. Well I’m not entirely sure yet (hopefully will find out tomorrow) but I couldn’t get out of a laying or seated position without my main man’s assistance and the sharp pains were ...well painful! Up until now I was feeling pretty chipper about being 25!


 If I can keep up with the sprints and somehow manage to tame down the loud ‘girly’ shrieks (as my teammate has already pointed out and told me to can it) that come out whenever someone chases me when I have the ball ...then all will be good! Hopefully the athlete in me springs right back into action for next Tuesday’s game!



xo Tegs

No comments: